“In order to isolate what was possible, you had to eliminate everything that was impossible” – One man’s experience of Prison by John Hoskison will, for a nominal fee, test one’s DNA and generate an ancestral report. A good thing if you want to know how much German or whatever blood you have.

Several months ago my son decided to take the test. So he paid the fee, submitted the DNA sample and settled down to await the results.

In my ignorance of the subject, I advised him that he was 50% French and 50% an English-German mix.

So wrong.

The results were that he was 51% English/Irish with the remaining 49% some undefined mix of middle European/Iberian Peninsula, Slavic mix.


What about his mother’s French blood? If she’s pure French he must be at least 50% French. Right?

Logical conclusion: his mother is not pure French. I jokingly advised her that she was a mutt. A regular Heinz 57. Not pure anything.

She did not take this well. Not at all.

So my curiosity prevailed. I googled the subject and learned that I was wrong. Wow. The combinations of Ancestry and traits etc. that we can inherit from our parents are almost limitless.

So who knew? Certainly I didn’t.

We are going to get to the bottom of this French question. I’ve ordered the test for my wife.

We shall see. I’m either married to a French Poodle or a mutt. So to speak. Whatever.

“Life is too complicated, too constantly changing, to be anything but what it is” – An Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison

This entry was posted in child, life, Texas and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Mutt

  1. We await anxiously to see if your wife is a muttation or pure French. This reminds me a bit of Lady and the Tramp, with a hint of Beauty and the Beast.


Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.